Find out what’s inside Lady Bunny’s gym bag
![]() |
| LET’S GET PHYSICAL: Bunny serves body. |
By DANIEL KUSNER | April 6, 2001
Yep, even drag queens have to hit the gym.
So the hilariously distasteful Lady Bunny — our nation’s legendary celebrated founder of Wigstock — took a minute to reveal to Dallas readers why she goes to the gym, what she brings with her and which locker room she uses.
KUSNER: Do you go to the gym?
LADY BUNNY: Yes, I do. The food is really great. And I do about an hour on the treadmill everyday. Sometimes I turn it on for the last five minutes.
No, I do go to the gym — even though you might not be able to tell.
![]() |
| THIRSTY AND GLISTENING: Sodium-free Bunny. |
I know you go to the gym because you did that Naya water campaign.
Actually, I did not go to the gym for about two years after that — so that was a fake. And if you look closely, you can see the bones of my corset through that track suit. That was not a gym body.
Actually, I did not go to the gym for about two years after that — so that was a fake. And if you look closely, you can see the bones of my corset through that track suit. That was not a gym body.
![]() |
| PLAYLIST KWEEN: Bunny’s “Wigstock” disc. |
What’s inside your Walkman?
My brand new album, “Wigstock: The Legendary Compilation of the Legendary Event.” And Charo’s greatest hit “Cuchi-Cuchi.” She’s my idol.
What kind of shoes do you wear to the gym?
High-heel sneakers by Norma Kamali.
Like Romy and Michelle’s Adidas lace-ups with a heel?
They stole those from me.
No, I don’t sweat. That’s the weird thing about me. I do not sweat — even at the gym. I don’t sweat, I glisten. Some people say, “You glisten like a pig, bitch!” But I really don’t sweat. And I’ve never understood headbands or wristbands – that’s really retarded. Now wristbands are slightly fashionable. But I never concentrate on fashion at the gym.
Do you have any Texas roots?
No. I grew up in Tennessee. And I’m originally from North Carolina — from a long distinguished line of inbred white-trash.
If we were gonna look inside Lady Bunny’s gym-bag, what would we find?
Well, it’s always a good idea to bring condoms — everywhere. Just because you never know. Even though my gym is somewhat high-end, it can still get real trashy in the locker room and shower room. I never really know which locker room to go into. But, anyway, that’s another article altogether. I never can tell [which locker room to use]. It throws me into a state of confusion. And it enables my therapist to make a lot of money.
Have you been in the women’s locker room? Can you get away with it?
No!
Like sometimes — in fancier places where the crowd might be a bit stuffier — you do feel a little odd in the ladies’ room. But not as odd as you’d feel in the men’s room. Most girls laugh. Most girls don’t have a problem with it. I don’t know about changing rooms. But women don’t go to a urinal. So the only thing that they would see in a bathroom was a closed door of a stall and someone putting lipstick on or fluffing their hair. But in a changing room, I do think that’s different. I’m not offering any solutions. I wouldn't “feel” right in the men’s. But I could see how the women might not want to change around men — however clock-able they would be even if they were made to realize how completely uninterested these particular checking out their physiques
What else is in your gymbag?
Poppers really give you a burst of energy no matter what your workout is. I think that’s a good idea.
Do you smell ’em right from the bottle? Or do you use a bandana?
Well, I put a little behind my ears.
But I put them in my fannypack.
And if you feel like you just can’t do that last part of your workout, a little poppers really help. But they’re also a really great conversation starter.
The only thing is — for people who do sweat — they really start to stink when the poppers start coming out of their system. I think you know the smell. And you have to kind of jump off the treadmill for a second otherwise it’ll slosh up in your nose and give you that hideous telltale rash – that sour poppers rash.
You know what I’m talking about.
You know. That’s a knowing laugh. That’s so embarrassing.
Well, I put a little behind my ears.
But I put them in my fannypack.
And if you feel like you just can’t do that last part of your workout, a little poppers really help. But they’re also a really great conversation starter.
The only thing is — for people who do sweat — they really start to stink when the poppers start coming out of their system. I think you know the smell. And you have to kind of jump off the treadmill for a second otherwise it’ll slosh up in your nose and give you that hideous telltale rash – that sour poppers rash.
You know what I’m talking about.
You know. That’s a knowing laugh. That’s so embarrassing.
Anything else is in your gym bag?
I think it’s wise to bring an enema. Because you never know if you’re gonna meet the man of your dreams and he wants you even though you’re all hot. The poppers, like I said are a conversation starter. So one thing leads to the next. You don’t want someone to fuck the shit out of you, literally. So I think it’s best to take a little preparations like that, just in case.
I also bring in lipgloss and sunglasses — that kind of thing.
I wouldn’t need an extra pair of boobs for my workout bra. I tend to wear loose fitting clothes because I don’t want to flash my exquisite shape and distract people. That’s not why I’m there. I’m there to make sure heart gets a good workout. Well, I mean aside from the crack cocaine, which boosts my heart-rate quite a lot. But they say you’re supposed to get your heart-rate up to a certain number of minutes to have a healthy heart. And contrary to popular opinion, I do have a heart. And half a brain — I think.
What should one not bring to the gym?
I don’t like people who bring gossip. And who like to sit and chitchat. I am not there to socialize. It’s, like, sex is one thing. But I don’t really want to talk.
You’re also a DJ mistress.
I perform at circuit-party events. But I don’t like the music at circuit parties. All the soul has gone out of it. And it’s just garbage.
Gays used to have such great taste in dance music. I don’t know how they got on to this cheap circuit mess. They say it’s the drugs — it’s the Special K. I’m like, honey. I’ve tried every drug in the book and I’ve never tried one that’s change my taste in music.
What happened to melodic, fun stuff, like Crystal Waters, Barbara Tucker and Ultra Naté’s “Free,” and all that great stuff?
I perform at circuit-party events. But I don’t like the music at circuit parties. All the soul has gone out of it. And it’s just garbage.
Gays used to have such great taste in dance music. I don’t know how they got on to this cheap circuit mess. They say it’s the drugs — it’s the Special K. I’m like, honey. I’ve tried every drug in the book and I’ve never tried one that’s change my taste in music.
What happened to melodic, fun stuff, like Crystal Waters, Barbara Tucker and Ultra Naté’s “Free,” and all that great stuff?
Now it’s all just so hard and tweaked out it’s a mess. I hate it.
My stuff is fun dance.
They play such hard tripped-out mixes that you can’t even follow the tune.
My stuff is fun dance.
They play such hard tripped-out mixes that you can’t even follow the tune.
I like vocal house that’s soulful. I’m glad that this CD is getting such a good response because it really harkens back to some of the big club hits of the early and mid ’90s. I think that’s when House music was at one of its peaks.


:format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-14961518-1584785755-2953.jpeg.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment